Friday, 16 August 2019

Hospital Trip

Apparently it's Friday today! Honestly, I've been losing track of the days having everyone at home. Hard to believe Jordan's been off for a week already! Yesterday was supposed to be a nice day and we were going to take the kids to the beach and today's post was going to be on our trip but two things changed those plans.

Firstly, the weather; it was very wet and very miserable. However, the biggest reason (as if it raining all day wasn't enough of reason not to go to the beach) was that we'd spent Wednesday evening in the childrens A&E department with Flynn. I'll go into detail in a second, but basically the ordeal zapped Jordan and I of so much energy that yesterday we were both completely zonked and needed to recover.

So what happened to our little man that resulted in a trip to hospital? Honestly, we have no idea. Earlier in the day, around 2:30pm (ish), he'd slipped on a toy on the living room floor and bumped his head on the coffee table. The bump sounded bad but there was no mark, no bruise, no bleeding and not even a lump. He cried for about a minute and then got back up and happily played with Vala like nothing had happened. We dismissed the bump after that because it seemed like it was nothing. Fast forward to 4pm and Flynn was getting cranky because he hadn't napped. So we put him down for a nap and 40 minutes later, everything went south.

Flynn woke very suddenly and was screaming/crying at the top of his lungs. At first we assumed he had a bad dream and tried to comfort him. However, after 5 minutes he still hadn't calmed down and the crying had gotten worse. He was in full tantrum mode. He was throwing himself all over the place, arching his back, going stiff and fighting his way out of our arms. We laid him on our bed and he writhered around screaming, almost like he was in pain. He kept holding his breath (not inhaling) until he was red with shades of purple in the face and then he'd inhale sharply and start hyperventilating. It was scary. He kept trying to soothe himself by sucking his thumb and drifting off to sleep again but within 30 seconds, he'd start screaming again and rolling around with his body stiff. It looked like he was in a lot of pain but we couldn't see anything wrong. This went on for a total of 20 minutes before I noticed his eyes were trying to roll back in his head and I got Jordan to call 111. 20 minutes after the call (40 minutes of screaming), paramedics arrived to check him over in case the bump on his head and caused internal problems. He passed their checks but he was still inconsolable. Because of his age, they informed us he had to be taken to hospital for a second opinion. So at 6pm, over an hour after the screaming first started, we were loaded into the ambulance and on our way to hospital. Flynn calmed down half way to hospital and suddenly our happy, talkative, playful toddler was back again. He was absolutely fine by the time we got into the waiting room. Second opinion found nothing wrong and we finally got home around 9:15pm.

The ordeal was too much for Jordan, who cried with Flynn at one point. He was exhausted and passed out in his chair at 9:30pm. It was a completely bizarre and very surreal situation and since then a few people have floated the idea of Flynn's behaviour being caused by night terrors. He's never had night terrors before and neither Jordan or I have any experience with night terrors, so we're educating ourselves on them in case that was the cause and it ever happens again. It wasn't a pleasant experience and it left us drained for a good 24 hours. So, even if the weather had been nice, we probably would've postponed the beach trip anyway because we all needed some rest.

Hoping the weather is nice next week so we can still take the kids to the beach while Jordan is off. Fingers crossed for a nicer week, next week.

Until next time
Alli xo


Post a comment